For to pass the hiccups there are no specific treatments or ad hoc medicines; however, there are effective home remedies for hiccups. It was Hippocrates who first came up with a practical remedy for to pass the hiccups: consists of holding the breath while remaining in apnea for about fifteen seconds. In this regard we will explain below how to get rid of hiccups with commonly used remedies.
How to get rid of hiccups, prevention
- Do not eat too much: it often appears after ingesting too much food. Some experts believe that hiccups are your body's way of telling you to stop eating.
- Do not eat quickly and chew well before swallowing: the vagus nerve (which controls hiccups) can be stimulated by the speed of swallowing and the trapping of air between the pieces of food
- Do not drink a lot of alcohol, alcohol or spicy foods: they irritate the mucous membrane of the stomach and esophagus.
How to get rid of hiccups, useful remedies
In addition to holding your breath as we have already told you there are other equally effective remedies:
- Drink a glass of water while mentally counting down: it helps to distract the brain
- Quickly ingest a teaspoon of sugar: due to its composition in granules, when it descends through the esophagus it stimulates the diaphragm and blocks its contractions.
- Provoke a sneeze, perhaps by tickling the base of the nose with a feather: all the muscles of the diaphragm will be put into action
- Gargle with water
- Drink a teaspoon of vinegar: it causes a slight contraction of the esophagus, which often allows you to block the spasm of the diaphragm.
- Close your ears with your fingers and squeeze for a few minutes.
- Swallow the air with your ears plugged