THE taralli, small donut-shaped savory biscuits with olive oil, are a specialty of Puglia whose base dough is made of flour, oil, salt and pepper. At the supermarket you can find them of all tastes but the origin is not always known. Making taralli at home it's very simple, it takes little time and few ingredients! In this regard, here how to make homemade taralli, following our step by step recipe.
How to make taralli, the ingredients
- 1 kilo of soft wheat flour type 00
- 2 glasses of white wine
- A handful of fennel seeds
- 20 grams of brewer's yeast
- 400 ml of water
- 250 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of salt
How to make taralli, the preparation
- Sift the flour well then pour it into a large bowl
- Make a fountain and put the yeast in the center after having diluted it in 300 ml of warm water.
- Stir the mixture until the ingredients are well combined then add 250 ml of oil, fennel seeds, wine and a pinch of salt.
- Knead the mixture well with your hands and add lukewarm water from time to time until the mixture is smooth and soft: the water serves to facilitate the dough
- After having worked the dough well, put it aside and cover it with cling film Let the dough rise for about an hour in a dry place away from drafts: the dough will have to double in volume
- Once this is done, take the dough and make cylinders with a diameter of a finger and a length of 12cm
- Shape into donuts and mash the ends with the tail of a fork
- Place the taralli in an oiled and floured baking sheet
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for 10 minutes
- Remove the pan, turn the taralli and cook again in the oven at a temperature of 150 ° C for another 15 minutes.
How to make taralli, variants
THE taralli they can be prepared in different variations: instead of fennel seeds, for example, we can put sesame, oregano or chilli.