Homemade Seitan:classic recipe and gluten-free variant. How to prepare vegetable meat at home, without waste and with easy-to-find ingredients.
Seitan, what is it?
The seitan is a glutinous protein food very common in vegan and vegetarian diet. It is obtained from the processing of wheat flour: it is widely used instead of meat in various dishes such as pasta with seitan sauce, roast seitan, vegetable burgers, stuffed savory crepes… and so on.
In commerce, the seitan it is available "natural", or precooked, grilled, in cubes, sliced to use as if it were a cured meat, smoked, flavored, enriched with spices and other plant extracts ... In short, the choices are many and, similarly, it can be prepared even at home.
To get an idea of the various formats in which seitan is marketed (with meat sauce, in a jar, vacuum-packed, sliced with vegetables ...), you can take a look at the "Amazon page dedicated to this food“.
Gluten-free seitan, does it exist?
Seitan is prepared from wheat flour, it is in fact a mixture of glutinous proteins and therefore not suitable for those suffering from celiac disease. With a procedure similar to that which leads topreparation of seitanHowever, it is possible to prepare onegluten-free vegetable meat using rice flour. I remind those looking for thegluten-free seitanthat "soy meat" is perfect.
In the article dedicated toVegan ragoutI have explained to you how to prepare a Bolognese or Genoese sauce using gsoybean ranulare, therefore gluten-free. At the end of the page, the recipe for "gluten-free seitan", that is, a vegetable meat prepared with rice flour and not wheat.
The seitan, on its own, it has no flavor, but this glutinous blend has a high absorbing power, it absorbs extraordinarily the flavors of the food it accompanies.
Very positive feature of the seitan is its composition completely free of cholesterol and saturated fats as well as being a highly protein food. However, remember that it is not a complete food even from a protein point of view: it is deficient in lysine and threonine, two essential amino acids.
Here are the ingredients for the dough, the real vegetable meat made from wheat flour.
- 350 grams of wholemeal soft wheat flour
- A level teaspoon of salt
- 1 liter of water
Here are the ingredients to flavor it:
- 600 ml of water
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rosemary
- A handful of pieces of kombu seaweed
How to make seitan, easy recipe
- Take a fairly large bowl and pour the flour, salt and water into it.
- Knead well until the dough is consistent and soft, it is advisable to do it with your hands.
- Cover the mixture obtained with warm water and let it rest for about thirty minutes.
- Drain the mixture under the tap, pouring everything into a colander
- Take the dough and knead it again with warm water then let it rest for another half hour.
- Drain all excess water by squeezing the dough on the sieve.
- Repeat this operation several times, until the dough takes on a rubbery consistency: at this point the starch contained will have escaped with the excess water, while only the glutinous part of the flour will remain.
- Cook the mixture in a broth consisting of 3 tablespoons of double sauce, 600 ml of water, a tablespoon of rosemary and pieces of kombu seaweed.
- Let it cook over medium heat for an hour, or rather until the water is completely absorbed.
Here's yours homemade seitanit's ready.
Gluten-free vegetable meat
As stated, there is nogluten-free seitan, however, it is possible to prepare something that is very close using rice flour and legumes. Here is the recipe for an excellent onegluten-free vegetable meat.
- 300 g of rice flour
- 50 g of chickpea flour
- 150 g of dried peas
- 300 ml of water (approx.)
- salt, just enough
- 500 g frozen spinach (optional)
- vegetable oil or butter
For the recipe of this vegetable meat homemade you will need a kitchen mixer.
How to make homemade vegetable meat
In a blender, add the dried peas and reduce them to powder. Add the freshly made pea flour to the chickpea flour, the salt to the rice flour.
Gradually add the water until you obtain a workable mixture, a mixture very similar to the glutinous one ofhomemade seitan. The only difference is that this vegetable meat, being gluten-free, is not "sticky".
Once this is done, you have prepared the base for your vegetable meat with which, however, you can prepare an excellent spinach roll!
Sauté the spinach in a pan with coconut butter or extra virgin olive oil.
Roll out the dough on a kitchen towel. Place your spinach on the dough. Roll up the dough and close the cloth like a candy.
In a pot, boil some water, it must be large enough to cover your "candy". Cook over low heat for about an hour. Let the mixture cool in the cooking water. Remove, drain and cut into slices ... yoursgluten-free vegetable meatit is ready and can be stored in the fridge or can be frozen.
At the time of preparation, you can roast it, plate it or sauté it in a pan with a drizzle of oil and a couple of caramelized onions.