There tomato paste it is a very simple procedure that allows you to enjoy such a precious and delicious vegetable all year round, especially if it is tomatoes from your own garden. How is it possible? Just take advantage of a small and extraordinary natural phenomenon called Osmosis. Let's see how to store tomatoes, following our recipe step by step.
Tomato preserves, the necessary
- Medium sized ripe and firm tomatoes
- Airtight sterilized jars;
- A tall and capacious steel pot;
- Garlic and basil
Tomato preserve, the procedure
- Wash the tomatoes thoroughly in a basin with cold water then pour them into a pot with boiling water and boil for at least three minutes without touching them.
- After the time has elapsed, drain the tomatoes with the help of a slotted spoon and place them in a colander
- After a few minutes, start removing the skin: if it has not split by itself, make a small cut with a knife to facilitate the operation.
- Then remove the green and hard part at the top, placing the empty pan on it so as to collect all the juice that will inevitably drain from the cut.
- Then squeeze the tomato with your hands and let out the seeds and all the water gently without crushing the tomato
- After peeling and squeezing the tomatoes, insert them into the jar one against the other until you reach the neck of the jar, pressing well: they must be as tight as possible so as not to leave gaps.
- Pour the liquid collected during the squeezing of the tomatoes into each jar, filling it up to cover the tomatoes: the tomato juice will thus create an isotonic effect, thanks to the osmotic phenomenon.
- Close the jars with their screw cap and place them in a pot with a high edge then cover them entirely with cold water: the water level must exceed the height of the jars by at least 2 cm.
- Boil the jars for thirty minutes then turn off the heat and leave the jars in the boiling water until it becomes lukewarm.
- Once the water has cooled, remove the jars and dry them with a pano
Yours is ready tomato paste: you can season the tomatoes with garlic and basil if you prefer: they should be placed where you want between one tomato and the next, or throw it in as it happens.
For storage, just store them in a dark and dry place until ready to open them, then they will be placed in the fridge and consumed within 2 -3 days.